- Last letter written by Apostle Paul. ( One of Paul’s Personal letters: I Timothy, Titus and Philemon )
- Paul’s final charges to Timothy before his impending death sentence in Rome.
- Paul was martyred in Rome by Nero shortly after this final letter. Traditionally it was believed that Paul was beheaded.
- The letter is filled with the passion and confidence of Paul who remained as a faithful soldier of Christ in spite of all his sufferings.
- Paul had been the spiritual father and mentor of Timothy.
Place: Rome where Paul was imprisoned the second time.
Time: 66 AD.
Key words: charge, grace, endure.
Key verses: 2:15,4:5
Motives: Paul’s final charges to young Timothy to continue the ministry.
Theme: Be a faithful evangelist, a servant of God.
- Salutation. Vs 1:1-2
- Paul’s first charge to Timothy – Be bold to guard the Gospel. Vs 1:3-18.
- Paul’s second charge to Timothy – Be strong in becoming an approved servant of God. Vs 2:1-26.
- Paul’s third charge to Timothy – Be wise in defending the word of God. Vs 3:1-17.
- Paul’s fourth charge to Timothy – Be persistent in advancing evangelism. Vs 4:1-18.
- Final greetings. Vs 4:19-22.